The Town of Weaverville started as a community of farmers long before it was officially named “Weaverville.” Historical records document road construction in the area as early as 1803. The earliest records also show an iron works located where Lake Louise sits today.
John Weaver, the community’s namesake, was one of the first settlers in the region. Families followed Weaver’s example and steadily settled in the area over the next 70 years, leading to the construction of several churches and schools.
Weaver College was established as an outgrowth of the area’s Masonic and Temperance School in the early 1870’s.
In 1875, the Town of Weaverville was officially incorporated by the North Carolina General Assembly.
As an historical side note, Weaverville was incorporated twice. Dissolved from 1904 until 1909, the dissolved Town of Weaverville forced the hand of the State of North Carolina, pushing the state to make repairs to Main Street. The Town of Weaverville, again, became incorporated in 1909, after the repairs were complete.
Modern improvements were made under the leadership of Weaverville Mayor John V. Erskine around the turn of the century. Electricity came to Weaverville in 1908, and a phone system was put into place in 1911. Weaverville’s first water system was built in 1912.
The Town of Weaverville has enjoyed steady growth throughout the past century with a current population of more than 4,000 residents.
Today, Weaverville is a major influence on the economic success of the northern Asheville region, boasting a number of high-tech industries, as well as quaint shops and restaurants; making the area a popular draw among tourists.